First Church of the Nazarene was organized in Vicksburg, Mississippi, on Sept. 3, 1939, with Rev. L.C. Miller as its first pastor. May 30, 1993, we concluded twenty-two years of worship at the church property on 787 Hwy 61 North Bypass. Our relocation to the new facilities at 3428 Wisconsin Ave. is a challenge for a greater ministry to our community. To God be the Glory!
On May 26th, 1993 we met at 3428 Wisconsin Avenue for a Prayer Meeting service. May 30, 1993, we were completely relocated to this new site. The sale of the Hwy 61 North Bypass property was officially concluded at this time. Praise God for the ease of this transition!
In 1992, the church reported that the value of its buildings and property was estimated at $310,000 with an indebtedness of $110,000. Today the churchs buildings and property are valued at more than one and a quarter million dollars.
At the end of 2009, Pastor Kuhrman Cox who had been our Pastor for 18 years, retired.
In March of 2010 we welcomed our new Senior Pastor, Rev. Chuck Parish and his wife Renee to the Church.
In 2011, the need for additional classroom and fellowship space led us to build a new addition to the Family Life Center. It includes 5 new classrooms, a complete kitchen and fellowship hall, and an auto/woodworking shop. This building was completed in January 2012 at a cost of $225,000.
Future building plans include a new Sanctuary which will be constructed on the existing Church property and will overlook Wisconsin Avenue. Plans for the Sanctuary have already been completed and a building fund established.
The Church is alive and being strengthened through the prayers and faithfulness of its membership. Thank the Lord for the faithful fellowship He has established in Vicksburg.